NocturnalPredatorsReviews

Nocturnal Predators Reviews

A blog dedicated to reviewing and promoting the books I love.

Audio Book Review: Bodyguard (Shifters Unbound #2.5) By Jennifer Ashley

Bodyguard - Jennifer Ashley

I came across this book because a few people on Goodreads that are in my feed recently re-read a few books in this series and were saying how amazing this series as a whole is. After reading a novella in the series (which in this type of series that feature a different couple in every book should be able to stand alone in my opinion) I don't see what everyone else saw in this book.

This novel (probably because it's a novella in the series) didn't do a good job educating me on how the universe the author built worked. My biggest grievance was with the collars. I wanted to understand how they came to be specifically and how they were built, how long they took to become a necessity. The heroine (for having lived in this world as long as she had) was no help whatsoever. She was just as uninformed as me (the reader) which made her come off as very dense and quite naive.

Ronan was an okay guy. Though he did get overly possessive way too quickly of Elizabeth. Which leads me to something else I disliked about this story: the insta-love. I understand it's a novella, but things getting that "deep" that quickly doesn't work for me.

The ending was rushed and way too easily resolved. Nothing made me feel like anything was a life-or-death situation so it didn't have the emotional impact the author probably wanted. Overall, I would have liked to have had more information on the universe the author created present in this novel, for people like me, who don't always start a standalone book series on the first book.

The Audio Book:

The overall narration was nice, but the story felt like it was missing something which made everything not so good. I will say that there were some words that, to me, were miss pronounced because I'm so used to hearing them spoken one way on tv shows, movies and other book narrations that every time they were said I would cringe a little.