NocturnalPredatorsReviews

Nocturnal Predators Reviews

A blog dedicated to reviewing and promoting the books I love.

Book Review: Maxen (Kinky Shine #2) By Stephanie Witter

Maxen - Stephanie Witter

I loved the first book in this series. I also enjoyed how Maxen's book was set up with little tidbits in that book as well. However, I can't say I loved this book. Though this was very well written and the pacing is just right the prologue threw me for a loop.

Maxen is an overall nice and outgoing guy. He also enjoys causal hookups and has developed a drug problem. As much as I like guys who are playboys evolving into marriage material throughout a story something felt off about this. When Maxen is presented in present day he's out of rehab and is doing his best to not relapse. What really threw me off was the prologue. It's one thing to be told that Maxen was/is a womanizer, but it becomes something else when I see it play out in the prologue of his book.

I couldn't, for the life of me, connect with Lark as a character either. I didn't understand the checklist she felt she had to have in life to "live a fulfilling life". Her current boyfriend was a nightmare. She was deluding herself into a lifestyle she thought she need to have and because of that, she lost me from the beginning. I also never felt the chemistry between her and Maxen. Though after things hit the fan she proved she had a backbone and that she was willing to fight for what she wanted for her life.

Overall this was an average read. The prologue threw me off and that snowballed into the rest of the story. If I had known I would have probably skipped it altogether because it doesn't play that big of a part in the book, but it does factor into how their relationship or lack thereof started and it is alluded to a few times throughout the story. I also felt this book was missing a few tidbits to set up/get me interested in the next book. The other band mates are a big mystery at this point but I'm interested in what the author has in store for them.

My Favorite Quotes:

"[..] I'm only human and I can be lost too."

"Emotions, relationships, and new beginnings could be so frightening that saying nothing and waiting, presented the only safe alternative."