NocturnalPredatorsReviews

Nocturnal Predators Reviews

A blog dedicated to reviewing and promoting the books I love.

Book Review: Brooding YA Hero By Carrie Ann DiRisio

Brooding YA Hero: Becoming a Main Character (Almost) as Awesome as Me - Carrie DiRisio, Broody McHottiepants, Linnea Gear

This book is just my kind of humor. I loved everything about the story and the somewhat of a character arc that was sneakily inserted every now and then. It was a cute read with some stern talking-tos in between.

Broody is so full of himself and it's strangely endearing. He's very up in his head all the time and seems to think that things never change/evolve. I liked how Blondie would derail him in some very important aspects.

Blondie made me rethink every single evil ex-girlfriend character I've ever read about. She made very good points about women's roles in books always (most of the times) being dependent on the hero and his actions. She also mentioned how minorities are underrepresented in main character roles and as authors. It's a good thing the bookish world is evolving, it'll slowly and surely get there.

The ending was cute. It wasn't what I was expecting, but it did leave me feeling accomplished for some reason. I would love for this to be a series of some kind. Maybe the next novel could be about life lessons with Blondie as the "narrator"/main character?

Favorite Quotes:

"All authors are powerful, godlike beings, who are capable of doing horrible things to characters."

"You're always a main character, remember? Ignore anyone, and any story, that doesn't make you feel like one."

"The route clearly symbolizes how there is no straight path through the future."