NocturnalPredatorsReviews

Nocturnal Predators Reviews

A blog dedicated to reviewing and promoting the books I love.

Audio Book Review: Red Winter (Red Winter Trilogy #1) By Annette Marie

Red Winter - Annette Marie

I picked up this book because I loved the Steel & Stone series by this author. I love how she weaves a story and how intricately everything seems to be intertwined with something else throughout the story. With that said, I wasn't expecting to like this book as much as I did! The mythology around everything was very interesting and well done.

Emi was a multifaceted character and the writing helped translate that. Underneath it all, she's still a young girl who hasn't gotten to experience life because of something she was chosen for and accepted. I hated how everyone talked down to her even though they were the ones that ended up keeping a huge secret. Her choice to, essentially, "serve" was made on false pretenses and that broke my heart. Walking into that kind of situation blind and changing the direction of your life for it is the deepest betrayal.

I really liked Shiro. As secretive and standoffish as he was in the beginning, he eventually warmed up to Emi. Is it bad of me to want him and Emi to have a chance at a relationship? I know there are so many extenuating circumstances, but they're so cute together.

The one and only thing that bothered me in this novel were the names. I went through the same thing when I first started watching anime. I could remember the characters faces and the purpose they had in the story, but I couldn't, for the life of me, commit their names to memory. I haven't watched anime in a long time, so I seem to have regressed in that aspect. By the end of the novel the names were getting jumbled up in my head and I would find myself lost for a few seconds or so trying to understand the scenes. It's my own fault (which I will admit to). I'm just not used to it anymore, but I'm hoping to get better at it as the story progresses.

The Audio Book:

I liked the overall narration, but Emily doesn't have a very big range of male voices. There were characters that sounded like they were the same person by voice in a single conversation (which only helped with my difficulty in remembering the names of everything and everyone in this novel).