NocturnalPredatorsReviews

Nocturnal Predators Reviews

A blog dedicated to reviewing and promoting the books I love.

Book Review: That's What Friends Are For (Dear Dumb Diary #9) By Jim Benton

That's What Friends Aren't For - Jim Benton

What a throw back this book turned out to be! I can see where my particular flavor of humor started off. This is as sarcastic and funny as any middle grade book can be without going too far. This series was a big part of my childhood and it was awesome to read it as an adult. I can see where my twisted self first started appearing.

Jamie Kelly is all kinds of weird and her random theories make her all that much more entertaining to read about. She's in grade school and during that period of her life, she's still discovering who she is and what friends are really there for. This isn't a heartfelt story nor does it strive to be anything like that. It's a humor filled oddity that has found its place in my shriveled up heart.

I would recommend this series to the end of the world and back. That's probably nostalgia talking, but it's an entertaining and quick read! The drawings were adorable and on point with the story.

My Favorite Quotes:

"Of course I can't really say that, I can only write it. But I'm writing it totally sarcastically and rather meanly."

"I treasure how the same people and things make us both want to barf."

"I do call her my friend, the same way I call them my socks or my infection. Nobody would ever suggest that the infection belongs to itself."