NocturnalPredatorsReviews

Nocturnal Predators Reviews

A blog dedicated to reviewing and promoting the books I love.

Audio Book Review: Shine (Mageri #5) By Dannika Dark

Shine - Dannika Dark

I feel numb to this series by this point. I put myself through 5 books (most of them more than ten hours in length) all for that anti-climatic ending. The 'big' villain for most of the books was defeated in the what I consider a half baked miracle. That's my reward? I'd say it's not up to par.

This book had a lot going on with a bunch of (what I'd consider) pointless side stories that I could happily live without. The only side story I've grown to love was the Justus and Paige one. The Adam and Sadie one, in particular, almost made me stop reading because of how insignificant it was to the main plotline in the long run.

Silver was a more enjoyable character in this novel. She seems to have shed most of her impulsiveness and naiveté. What she did for Logan was sweet, but the life and death situation made me roll my eyes so hard. I swear I was going to see my brain at some point (this goes for this series as a whole).

I did warm up to Logan, because his domineering and overbearing nature were at an alltime low for the duration of this novel. That's a huge step to making him seem realistic and I appreciate it very much. There were quite a few sweet moments, but I still would rather never hear from him again.

The ending was very sweet, but it wasn't what I was anticipating. This goes back to the defeat of the villain. I understand that the author wanted to leave loose endings for future stories to develop, but solving the main problem and leaving three and a half hours of story was off putting to me. I'm in the unpopular opinion category when it comes to this series and that still hasn't changed.

The Audio Book:

The narration, as always, was awesome. Nicole Poole has grown on me for quite some time. I love her variations in tones and accents. I could tell everyone apart very clearly. Her narration didn't take away from the story as a whole.