NocturnalPredatorsReviews

Nocturnal Predators Reviews

A blog dedicated to reviewing and promoting the books I love.

Audio Book Review: Unborn By Amber Lynn Natusch

By Amber Lynn Natusch Unborn - Amber Lynn Natusch

I have a bit of history with this novel that I'll get out of the way first. In 2014 I was provided an eARC via Netgalley of this book which ended up as a DNF. I was always intrigued by this novel, but couldn't get through it as a book. After I saw that it had an audio book version to it, I decided to pick it back up. It was easier to get through, but it still left a lot to be desired.

Everything about this novel seemed robotic. The grammar was too proper and because of that everyone had only one option: to speak in monotone. The narrator tried to infer emotion through the voices, but it just wasn't possible. Overall, I got very bored listening to this.

I disliked Khara very much. I also didn't understand the dynamic she had with her so called 'brothers'. One moment they were best friends forever and the next it's 'stay here and don't do anything'. To be fair, it did seem like she had a death wish from time to time. She made decisions no one in their right mind would make under those circumstances.

To tell you the truth all her brothers blended together in my head. I couldn't tell them apart even if it killed me. The only one that stood out was Oz, but I disliked him even more. His forced nickname of 'new girl' for Khara didn't have the impact the author intended it to have. It just grated on my nerves through the duration of the novel.

During the story it felt like everyone was holding something back and that bubble finally popped with the ending. It was somewhat predictable considering Khara's known history of bad decision making. After all that, I didn't care enough for the character's to want them to succeed. I won't be picking up the sequel to this novel.

The Audio Book:

Angela Dawe (the narrator) was doomed from the start, so there wasn't much she could do. As much as she tried to project emotion in her narration, the book was too robotic in it's grammar to give her much room for anything. The reading of the novel was good considering what the she had to work with.